Frequently Asked Questions
Are Dealer 101 Certificates accepted by the DMV for my License Renewal or to become a Dealer?
Yes, we are a California DMV Certified Provider, #CCC0052.
Our Courses meet the DMV’s requirements for Dealers (Wholesale or Retail) renewing their Licenses. We are also approved to provide the DMV required training for individuals applying for their Dealer License for the 1st time.
Each Certificate is provided to us by the DMV and has a unique serial number for every Dealer completing the program.
How much does it cost to become a Car Dealer and get my Dealer License?
The cost to open a Dealership for the 1st time can vary greatly depending on how large (or small) you want to be when you get started.
1) DMV fees start at $176 for the basic “license only”
- $176 Application fee (inc. Family Support fee)
- $71 for automobile each dealer plate (optional)
- $73 for motorcycle each dealer plate (optional)
- $100 Autobroker Endorsement fee (optional)
2) A Dealer Bond – cost varies by your credit rating
- $10,000 for Wholesale Dealers – $150+ per year
- $50,000 for Retail Dealers – $350+ per year
3) A DMV-Approved Location
- $0 for Wholesale-only Dealers working from home
- $400+ for Retail Dealers working from a very basic, office with “display area” parking
Can I take the course on my mobile phone?
You can start and continue your course using a mix of devices and we’ll keep track of your progress!
What is a "Broker License" and what can I do with it?
There is no such thing as a “Broker License”.
Retail dealers can obtain a “Broker Endorsement” that allows them to sell vehicles they currently don’t have in their inventory. For example, they would contact other dealers on behalf of a consumer looking for a specific vehicle.
Note: At one time Wholesale Dealers could obtain a Broker Endorsement. This is no longer allowed by the DMV and new Legislation is pending.
How long does it take to finish the DMV LICENSE RENEWAL course?
Experienced Dealers that keep up to date on the latest “rules” often complete the training in less than an hour.
How long does it take to finish the NEW DEALER course?
Can I get help while I'm learning?
What if I don't pass the test?
We believe it’s more important to have you learn at your own pace, on your own time.
Why don't you charge for the Course when I first get started?
How long do I have to wait for my Certificate?
Overnight, FedEx orders are available when you check-out, after completing the course.