• Section 7 of 20

    DMV Dealer Continuing Education

    Regulations of the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR)

    Read the information below and start the quiz whenever you're ready. You can come back to this page at any time.

    0% Complete
    0/20 Steps

    California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR)

    California Bureau of Automotive RepairIf your Dealership receives compensation for any repairing, altering, or diagnosing malfunctions of motor vehicles, you must register with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) as an Automotive Repair Dealer (ARD).

    “Repair of motor vehicles” means all maintenance of and repairs to motor vehicles performed, including automotive body repair work.

    Some “minor” repairs are permitted without BAR registration including:

    • Repairs made as part of a business agreement (verbal or written) between a repair Dealer and a business or commercial enterprise
    • Repairing or replacing tires, lubricating vehicles, installing bulbs, batteries, wiper blades and minor accessories.
    • Cleaning, adjusting, and replacing spark plugs, replacing fan belts, oil, and air filters
    • Other services customarily performed by gasoline service stations

    No service is “minor” if the BAR determines it requires mechanical expertise or involves a part of the vehicle essential to its safe operation.

    Valuable Reference Links: