Section 7 of 20
Regulations of the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR)
Read the information below and start the quiz whenever you're ready. You can come back to this page at any time.
California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR)
You must register with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) as an Automotive Repair Dealer (ARD) if your Dealership:
- Performs repairs that require mechanical expertise
- Performs repairs to a part of the vehicle essential to its safe operation
- Receives compensation for any repair (including body repair work)
Some “minor” repairs are permitted without BAR registration including:
- Repairs made as part of a business agreement between a Dealer and a business
- Repairing or replacing tires, lubricating vehicles, installing bulbs, batteries, wiper blades and minor accessories.
- Cleaning, adjusting, and replacing spark plugs, replacing fan belts, oil, and air filters
- Other services customarily performed by gasoline service stations