DMV Dealer Continuing Education
Stolen Vehicle Prevention
Read the information below and start the quiz whenever you're ready. You can come back to this page at any time.
Stolen Vehicles & Indicia Verification
It is a crime to knowingly purchase, sell, otherwise acquire or dispose of a stolen motor vehicle.
Should you unknowingly sell a stolen vehicle you are required to issue a full refund to the buyer.
License plates are registration “indicia” and combined with the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) can help identify stolen vehicles — before purchasing or taking one on trade.
VINs can be checked via the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) that provides title information from states across the country.
- Individual NMVTIS reports can be purchased at www.vehiclehistory.gov.
- Simple “stolen or salvage?” quick checks can be performed for no cost at the National Insurance Crime Bureau’s website www.nicb.org/how-we-help/vincheck
Vehicle Theft Prevention
Vehicle thefts occur more often where large groups of cars are parked at any time of day for extended periods of time — including Dealerships.
Here are some tips you can use to avoid becoming the victim of vehicle theft.
- Never leave keys in an unattended vehicle
- Always roll up windows and lock all doors
- Store keys in a secure location such as a safe
- Use a locked gate or “blocker” car to restrict lot access after business hours
Valuable Reference Links