DMV Dealer Continuing Education
Air Pollution Control Requirements
Read the information below and start the quiz whenever you're ready. You can come back to this page at any time.
Dealers are required to provide a smog Certificate for all vehicles prior to a vehicle being offered for sale including:
- Gas-powered 1976 and newer model-year vehicles
- Diesel-powered 1998 and newer model-year vehicles, with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 14,000 pounds or less
Smog Certificates are not required for vehicles:
- Four (4) years old or newer
- Sold to other licensed Dealers
- Sold at auctions
Dealers are allowed to charge $50 for the smog test plus the actual fees charged for Certificates. Smog Certificates obtained by dealers remain valid for the sale of a vehicle, up to two years.
Dealers that sell a vehicle prior to satisfying the smog inspection requirements are subject to the following administrative actions.
- A suspension or revocation of their Dealer License and substantial fines ranging from $15 to $750 per violation
- Additional fines for each day the dealer is noncompliant to the Air Resources Board (ARB) requirements